The NACCIMA Women Group was constituted by the Executive Committee of NACCIMA on the 7th of December, 2005 as one of the trade groups of the Association. The chairperson of the group is Iyalode Alaba Lawson. The membership of the group is open to all women within the chamber movement in Nigeria.
As a trade group within NACCIMA, the activities of NAWORG are supported by the chamber itself. The Director General and staff of the secretariat see to the successful implementation of the group activities. However members of the group are also organized into committees to contribute their quota for successful implementation of any activity.
The group has the mandate to coordinate the activities of women not only within the chamber movement but also women across the West African Region. Its mandate also includes but not limited to the following:
- Facilitate women participation in commerce and governance
- Identify profitable business and market opportunities for members
- Access loans and business information for members
- Facilitate trade among women in chamber movement and within ECOWAS Region and the world in general.
- Sensitize and raise awareness among local business women within the chamber movement and other business women group in the West African Sub-Region who show keen interest in trade matters.
Since its inception, the NACCIMA Women Group has coordinate and participated in various activities within Nigeria and the ECOWAS sub-regon. NAWORG packaged and implemented a trade mission to Liberia in 2006. During the visit they met with the president of Liberia and businessmen and women of Liberia. The group also participated in the Nigeria-Benin Joint Trade Fair. In the 3rd quarter of 2007 NAWORG organized a workshop for women across the West African sub-region. They also participated in the 1st ECOWAS business summit held in Accra Ghana.